BY CHRIS MELLIDES

A trauma surgeon on the College of Arizona has observed a rise within the variety of instances the place sufferers have skilled burns brought on by e-cigarette merchandise.

Dr. Gary Vercruysse, trauma surgeon on the College of Arizona.

Dr. Gary Vercruysse and his colleagues started monitoring the rise within the variety of e-cig incidents over a yr and half in the past when emergency sufferers got here in with burns brought on by malfunctioning batteries, in response to KGUN 9, an ABC affiliate station.

Typically the accidents have been so extreme that pores and skin grafting was required.

“The issue with these e-cigarettes are that the battery will fail,” Vercruysse stated. “It should fail considered one of 3 ways, both by warmth, so overheating the battery…or by mechanical failure the place the battery is by accident punctured by some sharp object in your pocket, or simply over time [they’ll] put on out.”

To keep away from potential damage Vercruysse means that vapers ought to maintain their units out of their pockets.

To learn extra click on right here for the ABC report.

Chris Mellides is the Managing Editor of VAPE Journal. A seasoned journalist, he has labored in all areas of the media business since first getting his begin in newspaper reporting. Contact him at chris@vapemz.com.